When we talk about urban furniture and new visions of tomorrow’s cities, outdoor bike racks become a central topic.
Their design and implementation fit into a broader vision of urban environment planning, where transportation is becoming increasingly sustainable.
In this context, functionality and design play a crucial role, always serving the needs of people.
In a city striving to improve its performance and support the world around it with sustainable habits, designing outdoor bike racks contributes to this noble goal.
LAB23’s Outdoor Bike Racks
In its extensive experience in the field of urban furniture, LAB23 has repeatedly engaged in the design and production of outdoor bike racks.
Nowadays, there are over 20 models of bike racks conceived by our creative studio and created for the urban environment in major Italian and international cities.
Let’s specifically look at some proposals for steel and wooden bike racks, as well as a few iconic bike rack models designed by Lab23, namely Wave Strip and Peo.
Steel Bike Racks
Steel, with galvanized or stainless steel finishes, is undoubtedly the preferred material for making bike racks for urban settings.
This is because steel is one of the most durable materials on the market, offering high resistance to corrosion, ease of cleaning, and a high level of hygiene.
Examples of LAB23’s steel bike racks include:
- Cornice: Combining modern design and practicality to promote sustainable mobility and a love for cycling.
- Time: Featuring minimalist design and a sturdy galvanized steel structure.
- Side: Offering customization options for color to blend seamlessly with the surrounding environment, providing a functional and aesthetically appealing solution to promote cycling in cities.
Wooden Bike Racks
Sometimes, steel is mixed with wood, giving the bike racks an elegant and natural appearance that integrates well into urban and landscape environments.
When properly treated with protective paints or sealants, wood can withstand external elements such as moisture, sunlight, and rain.
LAB23’s wooden bike racks include:
- Round-B: Crafted from iroko or okumé wood, treated with natural hydro-repellent oils and UV-resistant. It features a round shape, measuring 1.6 meters in diameter.
- B-CYCLE: A bench-bike rack combination with a steel structure and a solid 40 mm exotic wood seat.
Wave Strip, Peo, and Others: Exploring LAB23’s Projects
As mentioned earlier, LAB23’s designers have created over 20 outdoor bike rack projects. Here are two more, each with its unique characteristics, design, and purpose:
- Wave Strip: Designed by r+p RIGHETTO + PARTNERS, this outdoor bike rack is approximately 2.2 meters tall and 3.6 meters long, made of galvanized steel for durability. It’s suitable for electric scooters as well as bicycles and features a unique crescent-shaped closure for locking without the need for a chain.
- Peo: Designed by Leonardo Battaglini, Peo is a ground-mounted outdoor bike rack made of tubular steel, securely anchored to the ground with a circular base plate. The steel is treated with a sandblasting, cataphoresis, and powder coating process to ensure protection.
These sustainable solutions, harmonizing with the surrounding environment, are ideal for enhancing the urban landscape of towns, coastal cities, and small villages, bringing design and functionality to the lives of citizens.